Thursday 25 February 2010

Proud and happy


Tonight I was so happy to witness one of my old altar servers taking his resolve of celibacy and being ordained to the diaconate at St John's Seminary, Wonersh: God willing, in a few months he will be a priest. Many priests have been contributors to Philip's path to today, but I feel so privileged to have been one of the earliest. Please remember Philip today, and pray for him. The photos, of course, are then and now; today's one is of dreadful quality, I'm afraid, because I had only my mobile phone in poor light.
We don't have children ourselves, but, as Fulton Sheen commented, this has something of the same thing about it.
Sorry about having to blur out the faces of the other servers; they are all men now (two in the American marines!), so I suppose it doesn't matter. I just know that someone would complain if I didn't!

3 comments:

rphjr60 said...

A totally offbase question: How did two English altarboys end up in the US Marines?

Pastor in Monte said...

US citizens, of course!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sean, seeing the bright red cassocks and white surplices (if I remember the nomenclature correctly) takes me straight back to St Anne's in the early 1970s. Not to mention your more familiar youthful visage in the photo!